Screen Reader Page Title
Total Compensation Estimator
“Total Compensation” is the complete pay package that employees receive on an annual basis. This includes direct compensation, meaning pay, and indirect compensation, which includes benefits such as insurance, paid leave, retirement plans, disability, and more. This total compensation estimator provides current and prospective employees with an illustrated breakdown of what their total compensation with Virginia Tech looks like.
- Academic Year - Refers to a nine-month appointment, typically August 10 - May 10.
- Regular – Appointments without an identified end date with more than 90 percent of funding coming from state funds (208 – E&G).
- Restricted - Appointments that are approved by the Office of Sponsored Programs and are funded 10 percent or more from gifts, grants, contracts, capital outlay projects, and other sources with are not identifiable as continuing in nature. They are typically created to complete a function or task within a specific time period defined by an end date.
- Start by answering the questions.
- All questions are required.
- Click "Calculate"
If you are unsure of your employment type or other criteria used in the estimator as it relates to your position, contact the HR Service Center at email@example.com or 540-231-9331.
*Calculations are based on the assumption that the employee is full time and are prorated as such.
**This total compensation estimator provides an approximation to be used for illustration purposes only and is not intended to be a substitute for formal financial planning advice. Individuals are strongly encouraged to consult with their own independent financial advisor for personal financial planning guidance.